Post Designation: Home to School Travel
Location: Various - to schools attended by
Children from within the Cit
THE KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES OF THIS POST ARE:
The post holder will be responsible on a daily basis for the effective care and safe transit to and from schools of pupils and young persons with special educational needs. They will carry out duties at any location to which children are carried and will, therefore, work in an unsupervised environment, subject to overall line management responsibility to the Travel Unit Officer.
KEY TASKS WILL INCLUDE
- Accompanying children with special educational needs to and from school, using a variety of forms of transport, in a manner akin to that of a caring and responsible adult.
- Securing the welfare, discipline and appropriate behaviour of children during the journey to and from school.
- Duties may involve the physical lifting of immobile and disabled children, the on/off loading of wheelchairs and car seats in tail-lift or other specialised vehicles, and the securing of wheelchairs inside vehicles as required. (Wheelchair and passenger restraints can weigh up to 8kg. Car seats can weight up to 11kg).
- Carrying sums of money as required on behalf of parents to hand into a member of school staff.
- Carrying medication for pupils on the journey to and from school and handing it to a member of school staff. This may need to be administered at school by designated staff.
- Liaising with vehicle driver\'s operators concerning arrangements for commencing, conducting and completing the daily journey to/from school.
- Ensuring that children are met by a parent or responsible adult or have permission to be released from the vehicle unaccompanied and to report to Pupil Services when this does not occur.
- Maintaining a register of all passengers in order to ensure that the correct passengers are carried.
- Acting as a point of contact between parents, headteachers and the Travel Unit Officers on matters affecting the transport of children.
- Responsibility for making secure the harness, safety belts or straps prior to and during the journey to/from school.
- To report to the Travel Unit Officer any requests to alter the agreed schedule.
- To report to the Travel Unit Officer every accident, however minor and also any incident that could result in an accident. Completion of accident/incident reports as required.
- Attendance at training sessions organised by City Transport. Specifically the post holder will hold a current recognised Paediatric First Aid Certificate for which training will be arranged by City Transport.
- Complying with the Council\'s Equal Opportunities and Health and Safety Policies.
- Undertaking a systematic review of his/her own practice with a consequent program of professional development to ensure that necessary skills, knowledge, and understanding are kept updated. They will include the implementation of guidance, good practice, and safety legislation provided by the City Transport Unit.
- Undertaking such professional duties that may reasonably be regarded as within the nature of the duties and responsibilities/grade of the post as defined, subject to the proviso that normally any changes of a permanent nature shall be incorporated into the job description in specific terms.
YOO Recruit is acting as an Employment Agency in relation to this vacancy.