Flexible Campus Location
£31,406 - £35,326
Principal VLE Developer
Carmarthen or Swansea (with hybrid working)
- ABOUT US -
The University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD) is an employment-focused university, dedicated to ensuring students from diverse backgrounds develop the academic knowledge and practical skills to thrive.
What’s more, we placed 13th for teaching quality in The Times and The Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022 and 8th in the UK for ‘Social Inclusion’ in this league table this year.
We are now looking for a Principal VLE Developer to join us at our Swansea or Carmarthen campus, on a full-time permanent basis, working 37 hours per week.
- THE ROLE -
As a Principal VLE Developer, will provide technical expertise, software development and support of the University’s Virtual Learning Environment (VLE) and other learning technologies.
In collaboration with the Digital Services team, you will develop the VLE user experience, ensuring practical, engaging and coherent design and function.
You will liaise with colleagues and stakeholders to facilitate software solutions and certify that these encompass all requirements and principles in accordance with the ‘Agile Scrum’ workload planning.
Additionally, you will research emerging application development software products, languages and standards and make recommendations for any necessary updates or improvements to enhance the performance of VLE systems.
- ABOUT YOU -
To be considered as a Principal VLE Developer, you will need:
- Experience in providing high quality VLE software systems support, preferably using Moodle and Microsoft Teams
- Experience of operational development of VLE solutions
- Experience of providing specialist advice and information relating to VLEs to a wide range of stakeholders with different levels of technological knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of SQL and/or MySQL, PHP and other programming languages
- Evidence of stakeholder engagement to capture requirements and define targeted software solutions
- A good general level of education
A degree in a computer related discipline would be advantageous to your application, but not essential.
- BENEFITS -
- 28 days’ annual leave per year, plus 8 bank holidays and 4 University closure days
- Good pay and conditions; as an accredited living wage employer, we offer competitive pay
- Pension scheme membership from USS to provide benefits for you and your family
- Family-friendly policies that provide for flexible working, including additional paid maternity and paternity leave
- Career and development opportunities, including support to gain further qualifications
- Support for mental health and wellbeing, including occupational health and counselling support services
- Staff discounts on a range of products and services
- Travel schemes, including the cycle to work scheme
Other organisations may call this role Software Developer, Software Programmer, VLE Developer, Lead Developer, Lead Programmer, or Development Lead.
So, if you’re looking to impact digital learning as our Principal VLE Developer, please apply via the button shown.
Please note, this application process does not include the option to submit a CV. Therefore, your application will be assessed based on your answers to the application questions only and, in particular, your Supporting Statement.
Closing date: 24th January 2022, 11:59pm